Peer Group Chat is our online support group for adults (18 years or over) in the UK who are affected by a visible difference or disfigurement.
Peer support is a form of group support where you help one another with your appearance-related concerns through sharing your own experiences and coping strategies. It is a private and confidential space and numbers are limited for each group for you to get the most out of the sessions.
Keep reading for more information about the service. If you are ready to join Peer Group Chat, please call us on 0300 012 0275 10am-4pm Monday to Friday or use the link below to fill in our form.
We offer our peer support groups in one of two ways:
- Video conferencing via our secure Zoom account.
- Live webchat (no video) in our secure chatroom.
Group sessions take place over eight weeks and are limited to seven to ten people to make sure everyone can get to know one another properly.
The sessions are facilitated by Changing Faces staff or volunteers. Their role is to encourage conversations and keep the group safe and comfortable for everyone.
Each session lasts for around an hour and 15 minutes and you can join using a computer, tablet or smartphone.
Each session has a theme for discussion, with time at the end to talk about whatever is on your mind with people who understand what you’re going through. Themes include:
- Confidence and self-esteem.
- Managing negative thoughts.
- Dealing with anxiety.
- Coping with negative reactions from others.
- Social communication, life and relationships.
Our Peer Group Chat sessions:
- Give you the opportunity to connect online with others who have similar appearance-related concerns.
- Enable you to learn from the experiences of others as well as share your own experiences.
- Help you to gain the skills and ways to cope with the challenges of living with a visible difference or disfigurement.